Sunday 13 July 2014

Book Review: Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane




Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts book 5) by Stacia Kane 
Genre: Urban Fantasy

A DEADLY HIGH

Magic-wielding Churchwitch and secret addict Chess Putnam knows better than anyone just how high a price people are willing to pay for a chemical rush. But when someone with money to burn and a penchant for black magic starts tampering with Downside’s drug supply, Chess realizes that the unlucky customers are paying with their souls – and taking the innocent with them, as the magic-infused speed compels them to kill in the most gruesome ways possible.


As if the streets weren’t scary enough, the looming war between the two men in her life explodes, taking even more casualties and putting Chess squarely in the middle. Downside could become a literal ghost town if Chess doesn’t find a way to stop both the war and the dark wave of death-magic, and the only way to do that is to use both her addiction and her power to enter the spell and chase the magic all the way back to its malevolent source. Too bad that doing so will probably kill Chess – if the war doesn’t first destroy the man who’s become her reason for living.



I have so much love for this entire series. I think it's probably one of my favourites of all time. Being the 5th book in the series this review will probably contain spoilers for the first 4 books, so be warned! 

I can hardly put into words how much I love this!! I actually think i'm out of control. I love absolutely everything about it, the plot, the setting, THE CHARACTERS! Especially Terrible. I love that man. It's insane how much I love him really. I just have all the feels for this series and this book. This review will probably just be more like me rambling on about how much I love it, so sorry about that!

Chess and Terrible are such wonderful characters and their development over all five books has been amazing to watch/read. I've never read a book where the main character in a drug addict before and although I in no way think drugs and good, I kind of like that Chess isn't just your average perfect and pretty heroine. She has flaws (and bigs ones at that) but I think it makes her more real, and more likeable. She did annoy me at times during this books, but that's kind of been a recurring theme throughout all the books. Just some of the things she chooses to do UGH, CHESS! I just wanted to shake her. In the end she makes the right decision though and it made me so happy to see her FINALLY make he right choice and not make anymore stupid decisions! 

The plot in this book was really interesting, it was mysterious and engaging and at no point did I feel bored. I just wanted to keep on reading until I finished, which is what I did. I love all the minor characters in this series as well. Lex (though he does annoy me quite a lot), Bump and Elder Griffin (Even though i'm so angry at him in this book). 

I can't stop thinking about Terrible. Seriously, I don't know what it is about him. He's described as huge, ugly and scarred, he's a brutal killer yet he's so adorable. The things he says to Chess just break my heart. That scene after Chess gets back from Lex's. oh wow. That was pretty intense! 

“Mine, Chessie."  "Aye? Fuckin mine. Not his.”

“Love you, Chessie,” he murmured. “Ain’t never … Fuckin love you, more’n anything.”

He just...I don't know. That scene at Elder Griffin's wedding omg I just died. He is just everything, I can't even. 

“Shit. You so fuckin pretty, Chessie. True thing. So … ain’t even can breathe sometimes.”

Sorry for the incessant fangirling, I just can't contain my feels. I don't understand how anyone could read this book and not fall in love with Terrible. I feel like Chess and Terrible really connect completely in this book. Their relationship has always been a bit rocky but I think they have finally got themselves together. I would literally read 1000 page novels about Terrible and Chess doing mundane, normal things like grocery shopping. That would be amazing. 

“She wasn’t going to lie and she wasn’t going to try to hide Terrible or who he was. She loved him and he was hers, and that made her so proud her chest hurt, and if anybody didn’t like it they could go fuck themselves.”

From my review you can probably tell that the main reason I read this series is because of Chess and Terrible's relationship. However I do really enjoy the world and the stories. I love the language that the characters in Downside use, it creates such a unique setting which I love to dive in to! I hope that we get a book six soon because i'm dying to read more about this world and I really want Chess and Terrible to get married ;) PLEASE STACIA MAKE IT HAPPEN! And please, if you haven't already, go read this series! 

Thanks for reading :) 


You can also fine me on:



No comments:

Post a Comment